Thursday 5 February 2015

A Quilt for Baby



I finished another baby quilt tonight.  Funny thing is though, this one is going to be given to an actual baby!  A baby that I know is going to be born in June.  I don't know if the baby will be a boy or a girl, but I know that the baby is coming.   The expectant mother is a dear dear friend who is thinking of doing up the nursery in teal, grey, and maybe some pops of yellow... and a few elephants.  Sounds very sweet :)  And, I suppose, now she knows what her gift is going to be, lol.
Anyhow, I couldn't help but think as I finished piecing this quilt together tonight, about why I make these baby quilts and give them away.  I already love this baby who is coming.  And I picture the baby's mother wrapping this quilt around her baby to keep it warm and cozy.  


Tonight, while I was sewing, I couldn't help but wonder; is someone pregnant with our baby right now?  It is so hard to imagine, but at any moment we could get that call saying that our baby is coming!  

Though, don't get your hopes up, we have only been waiting officially for a year, and many families wait much longer. 

Sometimes, the time just seems to drag on and on, and it feels like nothing is actually happening.  Like we aren't actually waiting for anything.  We are just living, as a family of three and nothing else is going on.  

I have a feeling that it is going to come as a major shock if we ever actually get chosen. During these quiet adoption wait times it is easy to feel like it isn't going to happen.




I don't want to say that we aren't hopeful.  We know that the Lord can do anything, and that He is so right in His timing.  We want the adoption to take place when He has ordained it, and when the child is born that He has set aside for us to parent.

It was interesting for me though, making this quilt for a dear baby that is going to be born to our friends near an expected time.  This child can be planned for, expected, and loved by it's parents even before birth.  

I made a quilt for our baby a year ago, and it sits in a folded pile in the crib.  We don't know when or if it will be used.  I loved making that quilt, and for some reason, I thought maybe that "if you built it, they will come" would apply to our own dreams too.   


If there is anything that we need prayer for lately, it is definitely patience.  Pray that we can live fully and not live like we are waiting.  Pray that we take joy out of the many ways that God has blessed our family as it is today.  

We are so thankful, but it is hard not to focus on what seems to be missing.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing, Ali! And beautiful quilt - it is a gift to be able to keep giving while you wait yourselves. May God bless you as you wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, the quilt is so beautiful and well done!! I can't say it much better than Sara that your are being such a gift to others with your quilts even while you hope to wrap your quilt around your own baby....praying that you can enjoy today while trusting and having patience for your future as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling the same struggles these days as we wait. I figured I would be so busy with my boys the time would fly by without me feeling too frustrated. But we are creeping up to a 3 year wait and I am having to update paperwork once again. This time it is hitting me, our nursery is ready, I have a little baby shirt as well as tshirts in my boys sizes all celebrating being Canadian. They sit in the crib, just waiting....soon my boys will outgrow these shirts! Waiting has gotten hard. Maybe I should take up quilting ;) It looks like fun and this blanket is beautiful! All I can do are rag quilts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 years already, Tamara!!? Yeah, that is long. I have really enjoyed doing things like the nursery and the quilt as a way to nest before baby comes... and the t-shirts for your boys sound like an awesome idea..... but then you wait...... and wait.... (quilting is super easy, and Pinterest has never ending ideas) -Ali

      Delete
  4. The quilt you made for your friend is lovely and very thoughtful.
    I believe the quilt that you made for your baby was made with pure love, and the nursery was finished with the most artistic, loving and caring thoughts of when you receive your next child, not knowing if it's a little boy or girl. I will pray for patience for you, Ben and Logan. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Auntie Wendy :) -Ali

      Delete

Feedback or questions?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...